3.03.2019

The Awakening

Hidden beneath a blanket of snow, I noticed a plastic tarp. The city trucks had plowed the snow, and showered the sidewalks with the Polar Vortex, and the homeless huddled to keep warm. I crossed my arms, shivering to keep my bones warm as I walked along Division Avenue... The temperatures had plummeted beneath the full moon, and the streetlights revealed a pair of boots attached to a body curled without motion.

I stopped at the human lump beneath the tarp beneath the snow beneath the streetlight, and watched closely for any sign of life. "Hey, are you okay under there?"

No response.

I glanced to the north, and looked for any others. Only turn signals and brake lights greeted me, as a streetlight turned from yellow to red. The frigid temperature had kept most of the motorists off the road, and I found myself alone with a heavy heart.

"Hey" I tried again, this time with nudge. "Wake up."

I brushed the snow from the plastic tarp, and pulled it back to reveal an intoxicated man with a swollen eye. He blinked a few times and mumbled, "I'm alright." The stench of cheap whiskey permeated his breath, and when he finally locked eyes with mine, I could see cumulonimbus clouds threatening rain.

"No, you're not. This is not okay. You can't stay here. It's seven degrees." I brushed the snow off his shoulder and asked him if he was hungry. He shook his head and closed his eyes, perhaps wanting me to just leave him alone. I looked at my watch (almost midnight) and considered calling 911.

"You're going to die out here. I don't want you to die." I realized that he had made choices that burned a lot of bridges. I knew that there were resources available to help him, but his apparent addiction to alcohol had held him captive to this virus. The streets were his home, and this tarp was his castle.

"You're coming with me." I said. My car was parked a few blocks away, so I left briefly only to return with the passenger door open. I walked around to the sidewalk again and physically took his arm. He resisted at first, but I told him I was going to get him some food and shelter. He finally stood to his feet, and with wobbly knees stepped toward my vehicle. I helped him into the passenger seat, and buckled his seatbelt. He leaned his head back against the window, and closed his eyes as I did a U-Turn in the middle of Division Street.

The streetlight turned red, and I stopped accordingly. As I waited for the light to change, I looked over to the parking lot of an empty gas station... there beside the building, I saw two more people seeking shelter from the wind. A blue tent was getting battered by the wind, and they were struggling to stay warm. I pulled into the otherwise vacant parking lot, and I stepped out of the car.

As I approached them, they immediately asked for money. Although my instincts are negative, I realized that is exactly what I would have done if I were them! I didn't give them any cash, but I did offer to help them find shelter and food. "Come on, get in..."

So here I was, driving around downtown Grand Rapids with three homeless friends. I learned their names, and I listened to their incredulous stories. Love lost and found and lost again, heroes and villains, and prison and scars and the inability to find employment and the vicious cycle of addiction and recovery and relapse and bus passes and meal vouchers, and Jesus.

Everything inside of me wanted to lecture and fix their problems. It was very tempting to not give my scholarly insights and unsolicited advice. But during this season, I am learning to do more listening than talking; Jesus asked twice as many questions as he answered. I don't have all the answers, and I have never walked a mile in their shoes. I can't pretend to have been there...

But I am learning to listen. And I'm learning to coordinate my prayers with the rhythm of breathing. I am learning to inhale gratitude and exhale entitlement. I am very much still under reconstruction, but slowly being transformed into the image of beloved.


No comments: